Monday, September 18, 2006

Popular Culture (1) - Kitchens

I'm in the final stages of speccing (is that how you spell it?) a new kitchen.

The idea is to make my flat more saleable. In other words my new kitchen has to be in tune with the latest in kitchen 'popular culture', and, since I probably don't want to sell for three or four years, I've got to second guess taste three or four years ahead.

Wow! All the magazines (and there are lots of them) don't really seem to consider this aspect of the awfull new kitchen business.

I'm terribly conscious how quickly some things date. How slowly others do. What to do?

I'm relying on my judgement of what looks and feels good to me now - today - over second guessing tomorrow's taste. And the result is alarmingly conservative - in the sense that it's almost indistinguishable from what I have now. Except it isn't filthy and falling to pieces.

Oh dear! A kitchen is a big chunk of money. Unlike a car it isn't resellable. But, as they say, it could add '£££ to the value of your home.'

Why doesn't the academic study of popular culture cover kitchens?

No comments: