Friday, October 20, 2006

Envy

My colleague here in Cardiff, Simon Williams, brought in his new digital camera kit today.

I'm old fashioned and can only think in 35mm terms - but a 28-200 zoom, racked right out, 10 megapx pic, 15th sec exposure and hand held, but PIN SHARP.

Unbelievable.

Want one. But I know I'd never take it on holiday.

I comfort myself that in a year or two this performance will be available from a vest pocket camera costing £200 - which I WILL take on holiday.

And that poses the equally interesting question - will there always be a distiction between professional and amateur equipment?

Manufacturers have long been able to charge vastly more for professional gear. It's possible that some of this differential pricing has been justified (lenses are a case in point) - but I suspect much of it hasn't.

This digital convergence is making it tough for us all.

So it goes...

Might even post that 'unbelievable' 10Mpx photo.

No comments: